LLM Banking and Debt Finance - Part-time
The University of Law Postgraduate Programmes
London, United Kingdom
Distance Learning, On-Campus
GBP 18,500 *
Earliest start date
* 2024/25: UK - £13,450 London | £11,900 non-London; International - London | £17,000 non-London
Our LLMs from our new Master's in Law suite of programs are designed for law and non-law graduates who want to explore the practical application of a particular, specialist area of the law. Study face-to-face or online.
LLM Banking and Debt Finance
A Master of Laws (LLM) in Banking and Debt Finance is a postgraduate degree designed to enhance your academic legal knowledge, particularly focusing on specific areas of interest. Specially designed for law and non-law graduates who want to gain a Master’s qualification in law, this course will give you the skills to enhance your career in banking or finance.
Students should possess a UK bachelor’s degree in any subject at 2:2 or above or equivalent qualifications. Non-law students must complete a compulsory two-week induction covering the Key Principles of the English Legal System unless they can evidence the successful completion of an LLB (or equivalent) or a minimum of 3 legal modules worth at least 80 QCF credits, which must include - English Legal System, Contract Law and Law of Tort.
Terms 1-4 (part-time)
Two-week induction: For non-law students, this includes a compulsory introduction to the law of England and Wales which must be completed before commencing your first modules.
You will complete:
- Banking and Debt Finance
- Research Methods Training (sessions throughout Terms 1-4)
You may then choose three* from the list of elective modules which includes modules such as:
- Compliance and Regulation
- Finance, Accounting and Risk Management
- Corporate Governance in Practice
*All elective modules are subject to availability.
Terms 5 & 6 (part-time)
- Dissertation in Banking and Debt Finance
The LLM Banking and Debt Finance is an innovative, flexible program that will provide you with an in-depth knowledge of Banking and Debt Finance in practice, including an ability to apply complex legal rules to real-world problems. You’ll have the opportunity to explore the regulation of banks with a focus on risk management as well as the relationship between banks and their customers under English Law.
When you study LLM Banking and Debt Finance with us you will:
- Be taught by subject matter experts, former and current practitioners, and research and teaching-focused academics.
- Focus on legal practice, not just theory.
- Benefit from strategic partnerships with firms, regulators, and accreditation bodies.
- Learn about Legal Technology by selecting to study modules in legal technology.
- Improve your employability by gaining important transferable skills and mapping your career with our careers team.
In addition to a general induction to the program, there is a two-week induction covering the Key Principles of the English Legal System. This is compulsory for non-law students, but also open to students wanting a refresher in the fundamentals of the law of England and Wales. This would be useful for any student who has taken a considerable break from legal education.
To help prepare you for your dissertation you’ll study a range of compulsory and further optional Research Methods Training sessions in your first terms.
Please note that, due to Home Office regulations, students who require a Student Route visa to study with us are not permitted to study online and can only choose face-to-face taught modules.
Modules are assessed by a three-hour unseen written examination or a 4,500-word coursework assignment.
Attendance at one of our UK campuses (or an approved overseas center by prior arrangement) is required for all examinations, including for online study.
The default campus location for online study is London.
The dissertation module will be assessed by submission of a thesis (15,000 words) and provides an opportunity for a sustained, in-depth, and intensive investigation into, and reflection upon, a specialist area of Banking and Debt Finance.
The course has an innovatively flexible structure, with specific assessments that are conducive to effective learning.
- 2023/24: UK - £12,550 (London), £11,350 (Non-London), INT - £17,500 (London), £15,100 (Non-London)
- 2024/25: UK - £13,450 (London), £11,900 (Non-London), INT - £18,500 (London), £17,000 (Non-London)