LLM (Online Learning)
The University of Edinburgh
1 - 3 year
GBP 24,700 / per year *
30 Jun 2024
Earliest start date
09 Sep 2024
* for 2023/24
The University of Edinburgh is currently ranked 16th in the World in the QS World University Rankings 2022.
This programme offers a diverse and flexible range of courses, enabling you to tailor the LLM to suit your specific professional and personal needs.
To be effective on the international stage, legal professionals, business people and policymakers need to understand different legal cultures and ways of operating and communicating within alternative business contexts and regulatory frameworks.
This programme provides an ideal learning environment for individuals to develop the skills and knowledge upon which further study or a relevant career can be built.
The programme spans foundational issues in areas of law, including:
- Commercial law
- Information technology law
- Medical law
Our online learning programmes are delivered entirely online via a virtual learning environment. Learning and teaching happen ‘asynchronously’. This means that you have the flexibility to log in at times and in places convenient to you, contribute your views and respond to others, and still maintain a sense of community with your fellow students across time zones.
The University of Edinburgh is currently ranked 15th in the World in the QS World University Rankings 2023.
Having studied the programme, you will emerge with an understanding of legal issues not just in the legal context, but with a sound grounding in ethics, social and theoretical contexts.
Graduates of our online distance learning programmes progress to a range of careers in Law and related legal fields, including work in:
- local and international firms
- government legal departments
- other public institutions
- international organisations
The programmes also serve as an ideal platform for advanced research.
To be awarded LLM Law you must successfully complete six courses and a 10,000-word dissertation during your chosen duration of the study.
During your studies, you will also have the opportunity to study courses from different subject areas such as
- medical law
- information technology law
- international commercial law
- Dissertation LLM in Law
- Group A
- Fundamentals in Bioethics
- Mental Health Law
Courses from School(s) F - Law (Online Distance Learning) (LLM) (Full-time) - Level(s) 11
- Information Technology Law
- Information: Control and Power
- Communications Law
- Regulation of autonomous systems: the law of robotics
- EU Data Protection Law
- International and European Law of the Media
- Space Law and Policy
- European Competition and Innovation
- Banking and Financial Law: Case Studies
- Contract Law in Europe
- Dispute Resolution Methods
- Corporate Compliance: Case Studies in Law & Ethics
- Comparative and International Corporate Governance
- International law, human rights and corporate accountability
- The Fundamentals of Law and Medical Ethics
- Global Health: Law and Policy
- Law and Ethics at the Start and End of Life
- Sustainable Capitalism and Investment
- Clinical Negligence and the Law
- Biotechnology, Regulation and Society
Scholarships and Funding
UK government postgraduate loans
If you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK’s governments.
The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on:
- your programme
- the duration of your studies
- your tuition fee status
Programmes studied on a part-time intermittent basis are not eligible.