Master of Laws (LLM) - Bar Track Loyola Law School
BENEFITS OF THE BAR TRACK PROGRAM
- Academic Advising with LLM Director Students will have one-on-one counseling with our LLM Director to design a course of study that will maximize their chances of passing the Bar exam. During the first and second semester, students will meet individually to discuss their academic and professional goals. During this time, the Faculty Advisor will select a schedule that will not only prepare student’s prepare for the Bar exam but will also allow the opportunity to take one or two courses of interest.
- LLM Bar Exam Workshops Loyola’s Law Professor, an experts in Bar preparation, will offer workshops on the Bar exam. These workshops will begin with a comprehensive overview of the California Bar exam followed by an introduction to essay writing. The overview will also include preliminary information regarding the New York Bar Exam. Students will focus on the Performance Test examination. These workshops will include an overview of the performance test, including samples of different performance tests, and conclude with simulating a Performance Test.
- The essay skills will include reinforcement of IRAC, issue spotting and outlining, creating and applying writing approaches, time management strategies and essay writing. Students will be taught how to recognize and analyze fact patterns and how to write essay answers within time constraints.
- The performance test skills will include creating a well-organized performance test answer outline, learning how to utilize the outline to write a well-analyzed answer, time management strategies and performance test writing. Students will be taught how to recognize and analyze different types of performance tests and how to write performance test answers within time constraints.
- Essentials of Bar Writing Course
Loyola’s Bar writing course specifically designed for foreign-educated students. The bar writing course will focus on specific essay writing approaches, outlining and issue spotting techniques, time management strategies and essay writing using actual Bar exam essays. Essays will be reviewed in class and submitted for grading. This course will also serve as a refresher to subjects taken in the first semester.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE BAR?
Many of our international students are interested in enrolling in our LLM program to become eligible to take the Claifornia or New York Bar Exam. Bar Eligibility depends on whether a student is already licensed a practice in her/his own country and changes from California and New York. Students should design the curriculum of their LLM at Loyola to meet the specific requirements of the Bar Exam they are interested in taking.
Bar Exam Application Process and Foreign Legal Education Requirements
In the United States, each state has different rules regarding Bar exam eligibility for foreign-educated students and application deadlines. We encourage students to carefully review the rules of the state where you intend to sit for the Bar exam.
If you would like to find out more about Bar Eligibility, whether you should take the Bar Exam, which bar exam should you take and much more, schedule a Skype call with our Faculty Director, Professor Aaron Ghirardelli. Professor Ghirardelli is an LLM graduate himself and he is licensed in California, New York, and Italy.
Loyola Law School is designed for foreign law graduates and experienced foreign and U.S. attorneys. Our program allows students to build a flexible curriculum in American law and prepares them to become leaders in a globalized market. At Loyola we care about our students and we want them to achieve their academic and professional goals.
The Bar Track LLM is designed for students interested in completing an LLM degree as a way to become eligible to sit for the Bar exam in California and/or New York. Loyola has one of the highest bar passage rates in California and its faculty has extensive experience in training students for the Bar exam. Our Bar Track LLM takes advantage of this experience and offers to our students a unique course of study, created by keeping in mind the specific challenges that foreign law graduates face when preparing for the Bar exam.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.